Best Anti Snoring Device 2021
There is a huge demand for the best for anti-snoring devices. Thousands of Americans can be considered “simple snorers” or “primary snorers”, which makes snoring a common phenomenon.
However, snoring can also be a major issue as according to the American Sleep Apnea Organization, it can be a sign of a serious disorder called Obstructive Sleep Apnea. (SleepApnea.Org)
For whatever reason that you need to stop snoring, it is important to find the right anti-snoring device. We review here a wide variety of products to help you make an informed purchase.
Types of Snoring Devices
For the most part, snoring does not affect the snorer. It can inconvenience others in the bedroom though, such as your partner or other people in the hostel you’re staying. And if snoring does affect the quality of your sleep or a product of a more serious underlying cause, then it is crucial to remedy the situation. Keep reading to find the best solution for you.
MAD - Mandibular Advancement Devices
Mandibular Advancement Devices or MADs are highly popular anti-snoring devices. They work by moving the mandible, a type of jawbone, forward. This then lessens the restriction that you’ll experience in the back of your throat when sleeping. At the same time, the device will advance the tongue forward.
Once the jaw and the tongue are away from the back of the throat, the upper airway size will increase. This also effectively removes the obstruction to your throat and the passage of air to your lungs, which is often the reason for snoring. Air resistance is diminished and the snoring will stop.
Design-wise, Mandibular Advancement Devices look like those mouth guards you’ll find in the sports section. They are further classified into three types - Boil and Bite (can be bought readily online or from pharmacies), Semi-Custom (requires taking a mold of your teeth), and Custom Dental (needs supervision by physicians and dentists).
TRD - Tongue Retaining Devices
Tongue Retaining Devices or TRDs are other common devices used to provide solutions to the pressing question of how to stop snoring. They are used to treat obstructive sleep apnea syndrome as well. A TRD’s design is very much like a mouthpiece and it provides coverage to both lower and upper dental arches. It also comes with a mandibular protrusion that is quite prominent and this is where the wearer’s tongue will rest.
A TRD works as a snoring stopper by pulling the tongue slightly forward, which will effectively lessen the obstruction on your airways. To ensure that this device works, it is custom-made. A cast of your tongue and teeth will be taken by your dentist and the TRD will be based on that. Often, TRDs are created via a soft copolymer material.
Some patients may complain of slight pain or discomfort when wearing a TRD. This can be remedied by letting your dentist make the necessary adjustments. A tongue retaining device will also need adjusting if the snoring does not stop.
Our Top 6 Anti Snoring Devices 2021 Update
HIGHLIGHTS AND BENEFITS
OUR #1 RATED
- Can be customized through the boil and bite method
- Offers a highly comfortable fit through accurate adjustments
- Long-lasting anti-snoring product; can last for 20 months or more
- Consistent airflow is ensured through a properly ventilated design
OUR #2 RATED
- Enjoy optimal fit through customized teeth impression
- Stop snoring and breathe easier too
- Have the option to get the Anti-Bacterial Mouthpiece Cleaner designed for it
- Free replacements on your first year of being a customer
OUR #3 RATED
- Highly comfortable to wear
- 2 adjustable mouthpiece options
- Cleaning this device is a breeze
- Enjoy a cost-saving 30-day trial period
OUR #4 RATED
Good Morning Snore Solution
- Tongue retainer and stabilizer
- Safe and simple-to-use anti-snoring device
- Its innovative design provides a comfortable fit
- Has a Satisfaction Guarantee that lets you try the product for 30 days risk-free
OUR #5 RATED
- Anti-snoring aid that works by stabilizing the tongue
- Made from high-quality, medical-grade silicone for a comfortable fit
- Durable and reasonably priced
- 90-day money-back guarantee
OUR #6 RATED
- High-quality and effective mandibular advancement device
- Also designed with a tongue retainer
- Customizable and the fitting process is easy
- Made from BPA-free, non-toxic, and latex-free materials
Our Top Pick - SnoreRx
SnoreRx is a highly recommended anti-snoring device and is our top choice. It is a Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD). SnoreRx works by pushing your jaw forward, which clears up your airway passage when sleeping. This lessens the chances of snoring. Incremental adjustments can be done until you don’t snore anymore.
This device is customizable via the bite and boil method. Basically, you need to place it in boiling water to soften it. Then, you’ll have to bite into it so it will achieve the desired shape. Not only is it effective, but it is also durable and can last for 20 months or more of continuous use. It is made from non-toxic copolymer plastic.
SnoreRx is an over-the-counter product and, therefore, you don’t need a prescription to buy it. Wearing it is easy as you only need to slide it into your mouth by hand before sleeping.
- Extremely customizable for utmost comfort. You don’t have to worry about any jaw pain.
- It can fit all adult mouths and can be reboiled up to three times to suit the patient’s bite.
- You can also customize the bite-pads for optimum results.
- Long-lasting and better than most, if not all, bite-and-boil anti-snoring devices out there.
- There is no warranty provided but the manufacturers offer a 30-day, full-refund return policy.
- The right fit may not be achieved the first time you shape it but if you are careful when you do
boil and bite into it, then this should not be a major headache.
Other Highly Recommended Anti-Snoring Devices
Here are 5 other anti-snoring products we recommend. While not as great as SnoreRx, they are still quality products for anyone looking for an alternative.
VitalSleep is another top-quality Mandibular Advancement Device that is shaped like a mouthpiece. Different sizes are available for men and women. Just like any other MAD, it stops snoring by moving your jaw and tongue away from your throat, thereby alleviating the obstruction to the air passage.
- It is FDA-approved.
- Made of BPA and latex-free materials.
- Free replacements are available within the year after you bought the product.
- It comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- VitalSleep has not been clinically tested but has received plenty of good reviews from real users.
- Not good for people with other dental devices (braces) or those with implants or loose teeth.
When it comes to snoring relief, Zquiet is yet another great option. It works by widening the user's airways and gently advancing the lower jaw. This reduces the soft tissue vibration around the throat, which means you will snore less. You and anyone in the room with you will have a quieter and more restful sleep.
- It has a comfortable and easy-to-use design.
- The FDA product designated it as a class II medical device, which means it is made from safe materials and is effective.
- You don't have to remove it if you wish to drink water in the middle of the night.
- It can also provide protection for those who tend to grind their teeth while sleeping.
- This product is not ideal for those with loose teeth.
- It comes in one size only so it won't fit everyone.
Good Morning Snore Solution
Good Morning Snore Solution is an anti-snoring device that is designed to restrain your tongue. By pulling your tongue forward, you can prevent blockage on your air passage and stop snoring in this manner. This anti-snoring solution is FDA-approved, which is a guarantee of its safety. It uses a gentle suction so it can position your tongue without causing pain or discomfort.
- Ideal for individuals that use MAD anti-snoring solutions.
- It is comfortable and won’t hurt your jaw.
- It is FDA-approved.
- It is more expensive than other TRDs in the market.
- Initial tongue soreness can be reported until adjusted.
AVEOtsd is an anti-snoring mouthpiece that is non-invasive and claims to effectively stop snoring problems. This is classified as a tongue stabilizing device that does not sit in your mouth, which is great for those who do not like wearing mouthpieces. It is made with medical-grade silicone that is soft and non-irritating.
- The device is made with medical-grade silicone.
- It is designed by sleep experts based on various effective clinical studies.
- It is backed with a six-month warranty.
- It requires a doctor’s prescription.
- It might cause excessive drooling.
Zyppah is an anti-snoring mouthpiece that prevents snoring when you sleep on your back. It helps prevent the tongue from falling backward so it won’t obstruct the airway. It is recommended for multifactorial and tongue snorers. It applies gentle pressure on your jawbone that pushes it forward. It can also push your tongue muscle forward so the air passage is clear.
- It features a hybrid design that secures your tongue and jaw in place.
- It is BPA-free and latex-free.
- It is designed by a dentist and it works for sleep apnea patients.
- It does not work for people with bridges and crowns.
- It might cause drooling as a side effect.
Other Snoring Products You Should Check Out
For more options, here are some more snoring products for you to look into:
SnoreDoc is a type of Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) that is designed to combat snoring. This product is meant to hold your lower jaw forward as you sleep. This will keep your airways open and free from any obstruction to avoid vibrations on the soft tissue in your airway passage. Without the vibrations, you can also eliminate snoring.
SnoreDoc is made with a small thermoplastic material that is similar to soft rubber. There is no mention if it is BPA- or latex-free. It does not irritate your gums or teeth whatsoever. It comes with a simple design that makes it easy to use. Cleaning it is also just as easy. All you have to do is rinse it with soap and water.
Snore Be Gone is a patented anti-snoring solution also known as a sleep positioning system. This device is designed to achieve the optimal sleeping position for the body in order to overcome factors that cause snoring. This product offers a unique and ergonomic design that corrects your posture as you sleep. It also ensures that you can get the correct angle on your shoulders and spine during sleep. By elevating the body, it helps to combat the gravitational collapse that causes blockage on the airways.
It is easy to use as you must place it over the mattress that you usually sleep on. Some might find sleeping on it easily comfortable while others will need some adjusting. The company suggests waiting 10 days to get fully adjusted.
Zenguard is a Tongue-Retaining Device (TRD) that is designed to combat snoring. As with any TRDs, this one is meant to stabilize your tongue so it won’t fall backward during sleep. When you hold the tongue in place, it will prevent snoring (especially if this is the known cause of snoring). The system includes the mouthpiece and a case. Depending on the package chosen, you may also get chin straps, earplugs, and a nasal dilator.
Currently, no FDA clearance has been issued for Zenguard. It is BPA-free and comes in only one size. There is no mention, though, as to how long you need to use the device for anti-snoring.
Puresleep is a MAD anti-snoring product that is adaptable to various bite types and non-bulky. It boasts of a patented design so you can get the ideal fit. This self-molded mouthpiece has been cleared by the FDA so you can rest assured it is safe and effective. It works by holding your lower jaw forward throughout your sleep.
Snore Guard is a type of snoring mouthpiece or MAD that is designed to stop snoring. As with any MAD products, it is designed to prevent the rear part of your tongue from dropping back into your throat. When this happens, it obstructs the airways causing vibrations as you breathe during sleep. At the same time, it helps to hold your jaw forward to keep your air passage open.
This device is easy to use to prevent snoring. It is recommended for use from four to six months for effective results.
Air Snore Mouthpiece
Air Snore is a snoring mouthpiece or MAD snoring solution that is an easy alternative to a heavy-duty breathing apparatus or CPAP device. With this mouthpiece, there is no need for a special fitting because you can do it on your own at home within minutes.
The SleepTight mouthpiece is another MAD anti-snoring solution that was developed by US dentist, Mike Williams. He is part of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, so he knows what he’s doing. This product is a result of 10 years of study in his quest for snoring surgery alternatives.
How Anti-Snoring Devices Work (MAD & TRD)?
There are two general categories for anti-snoring devices in the market. The first one is the mandibular advancement device or MAD that is designed to bring the lower jaw into a forward position. This type of anti-snoring device is typically placed or worn over your teeth. MAD products are also recommended for people who tend to grind their teeth during sleep. Mouthpieces and mouth guards are a good example of MAD anti-snoring aids.
The other type of anti-snoring device in the market is TRD or tongue-retaining devices. This device works by holding the tip of your tongue in place. By doing this, it creates a slight negative suction. In some cases, MAD products are paired with TRD equipment to ensure higher effectiveness in minimizing or stopping snoring episodes.
The concept behind TRDs is the same as MADs, except that the former does not move the jaw. You can also expect slight discomfort in the use of the TRD anti-snoring product. However, it won’t cause any pain on the jaw or teeth.
A sleep doctor will be the one to analyze your symptoms and come up with a diagnosis. Based on the cause of your snoring problem, they will recommend the best anti-snoring device for you.
Pros and Cons of Using Anti-Snoring Devices
There are different anti-snoring devices available in the market with each having their own set of pros and cons.
- Most anti-snoring devices are designed for ease of use.
- Most anti-snoring devices vary in the method of application so the cause of snoring can be addressed.
- Most anti-snoring devices can be purchased at a reasonable price.
- Most devices can treat snoring without the need for surgery.
- A certain level of pain or discomfort can be felt, especially during the initial stages of treatment.
- Some anti-snoring devices cause certain ‘side effects’.
- Not all anti-snoring devices are effective.
Other Types of Snore Stoppers?
When it comes to anti-snoring solutions, two options come to mind: MAD and TRD. But the market has more options available, and you can choose from a variety of anti-snoring aids.
Nasal strips are a type of anti-snoring aid that is designed for snoring caused by nasal congestion. Nasal strips are often made of flexible and spring-like bands that fit above the nostrils. It is made with an adhesive so it stays in place once you put it on. Once it is fixed in place, the strips lift the sides of the nose and open the nasal passage.
An anti-snoring chin strap is a device that is placed under the chin. The strap is typically made with neoprene-type or flexible fabric material. The strap wraps around your head and onto your chin so that your mouth stays shut during sleep.
It addresses snoring problems by limiting the rapid flapping that is produced when air travels through your throat. There are many brands in the market so you can choose ones that offer the right materials and sizes. For maximum comfort, choosing the right size is vital so that it works.
The only downside with chin straps is that some people might find it difficult to breathe with this strap on.
Sprays, Pills, and Drops
The use of nasal steroid sprays is now available for those who are looking to stop snoring. The use of sprays and drops help promote nasal breathing. It is believed that breathing through the mouth can result in snoring sounds. Thus, being able to breathe through your nose can improve snoring.
To use, simply pump or drop a few times up your nose during the night. This will help give you a good night’s sleep and to breathe easily through your nose.
Make sure to choose medically approved formulations to ensure that your anti-snoring spray or drop works.
Pillows are also available as anti-snoring aids in the market. Experts believe that your sleeping position is a crucial factor that can cause snoring. By using the right pillow, you can achieve the optimal sleeping position to prevent snoring.
A good anti-snoring pillow encourages side sleeping (since snoring is more common when you sleep on your back). This anti-snoring aid is best suited for those with mild to moderate snoring problems.
There are many types of anti-snoring pillows in the market such as CPAP mask pillows, wedge pillows, and realignment pillows, among others.
FAQs About Snoring and How to Stop Snoring
Why Do People Snore?
People snore when air is unable to move freely from the nose and throat during sleep. This causes vibrations that result in the snoring sound you hear.
What Are the Main Types of Anti-Snoring Devices?
MAD and TRD are the two main types of anti-snoring products in the market. These devices stabilize the tongue or hold the jaw in place to clear the air passage.
Can Snoring Be a Sign of More Serious Sleep Disorders?
Yes, snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, which is an obstructive condition. This is a serious sleep disorder that is linked to various health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
Do Men Snore More Than Women?
Yes. Approximately 40% of men snore whereas only 20% of women snore. This is due to the fact that the male anatomy has an increased proportion of soft tissues. This increases the chances of their airway collapsing and causing vibrations during sleep.
Finding the right solution on how to stop snoring is important because it can affect various aspects of your life. It can impact the quality of your sleep as well as that of your spouse or other people in your household. At the same time, it can be a symptom of underlying health conditions, so make sure you address it.
The fact that snoring is common also means that there are many treatment options available. By choosing the right anti-snoring device, you will be one step closer to a more restful sleep.